[CentOS] auto.fs

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:27:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:36, Craig White wrote:
> Running a CentOS 4 server and have a few different Linux machines at
> home. One desktop is FC 3 and one is FC 4 and I have an old laptop
> running FC 1 (but I can update - just don't want to necessarily bother).
>
> I am running LDAP and have 'included' redhat/autofs.schema in the setup
> but have been too chicken to try to implement because I just have a bad
> feeling about this...
>
> If I automount my home directory from the LDAP server, am I gonna run
> into a mess with different versions of things from the different systems
> (i.e. GNOME settings/evolution/firefox).
>
> Is it gonna be much slower because my home directory is now gonna be an
> NFS mount and I have a 100BaseT connection to my home directory?

> Any other considerations?

For a few users or just testing you can enable the /net entry in
/etc/auto.master, then temporarily rename a home directory and
replace it with a symlink to /net/otherserver/home/username.  Then
if you are running the automounter, whenever that user logs in
it will mount his home directory on otherserver as the target of
the symlink.   If it breaks something you can still log in as root
to undo it.  As for speed, it will probably be faster having a
different box handle the home directory.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com