[CentOS] 'Many' packages installed - CentOS 4.1

Plant, Dean dean.plant at roke.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 08:52:08 UTC 2005

Tim Edwards wrote:
> John Hinton wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>> I don't know, I must be choosing something that's throwing the extra
>> garbage in. And I know, I could write my own KS, but gee, I don't do
>> it often enough for that and some machines vary, for instance some
>> are nameservers some are not. A person can spend a lot of time in
>> dependancy hell trying to get a clean install. If one does select
>> minimal, are you presented with the custom option during install? Or
>> is minimal only available at the bottom of the customization screen?
>> Seems like figuring out what's missing might not be worth the effort
>> to trim the fat? And maybe I'm crazy, but it seems that installing
>> packages like bind during the intial install, configures itself more
>> completely off the start
>> versus installing the package later?
>>
>> A great point was made..... Custom should be Custom and should allow
>> minimal within that scope. Custom doesn't even seem to have nearly
>> the full package list shown, although yes, it can be argued that some
>> packages simply must be installed and therefore don't need to be
>> shown. Then again, maybe one of my 'other' selections is throwing X
>> into the game?
>>
>> When CentOS finalizes their 'Server CD', perhaps a copy should be
>> sent
>> to RedHat!! LOL!
>>
>> Again, I know this is not a 'CentOS' issue. And crap... here I go
>> rambling again! Sorry.
>
> Just to throw in my $0.02: we do minimal installs with all our RHEL
> and CentOS boxes (both 3 and 4) and it really is minimal - no X, no
> GUI, no KDE/GNOME or Window Managers. If you're building a server
> then you know what should be on it so you can just do things like
> 'yum install httpd php mysql' or whatever to get yourself going. Its
> a very clean way of doing things.

I do exactly the same process, minimal install, then "yum install
<what-I-need-on-this-server>". I have been thinking of trying to produce
a list of superfluous packages that are installed with the minimal
install.

Has anyone already done this so I can simply paste a "yum remove
<non-required-packages>" after a minimal install to achieve a true
minimal install?

Dean