[CentOS] file system defragmentation

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 26 13:19:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 00:12 -0700, Fong Vang wrote:
> I've read in many places that file systems on Linux do not suffer the
> same fragmentation problems of Windows systems.  No one has provided a
> clear explanation as to why fragmentation is not an issue for file
> systems such as ext2/3, reiserfs, xfs, etc.  Just curious.

Instead of rehashing this for the 23rd time on a list, I'll create a
blog entry later this evening from my past posts.  I'll send you the
link when I put it up.

Short version:
- Strict separation of binaries, data and temporary files
- Reservation of disk space (filesystems never completely fill)
- Allocation approaches of inode design filesystems

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com