[CentOS] OT: CentOS server with 2 GbE links to 2 GbE switches

Jeff Stacey Jeff.Stacey at jri.ca
Fri Aug 26 13:48:42 UTC 2005

Have a look at

http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html#ether-bonding-ha

You can only use one link at a time. The second nic is for fail-over.

* Jeff

>>> centos at puzzled.xs4all.nl 8/26/2005 8:36:42 AM >>>
Hi all,

I am trying to come up with an architecture that has some redundancy.
The idea is to hook up the two GbE LAN interfaces of a CentOS server to
two Gigabit Ethernet switches. In case one switch goes down, there is a
redundant path (the server is redundant too). Here is the idea:

                             -----------
                            |    GbE    |
 PCs            ------------|   switch  |------------
  |            |             -----------             |
  |   -----------------                        -----------------
  ---| Workgoup Switch |                      | CentOS/Asterisk |
  |   -----------------                        -----------------
  |            |             -----------             |
Phones                      |   switch  |

How would I acomplish this? Can I use IP addresses from one IP network
(say 10.0.0.0/24) to assign to the 2 LAN ports on the CentOS server and
a port on each of the GbE switches and then use something like OSPF on
the switches and the CentOS box to do the routing? Any other ideas?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
Patrick