[CentOS] OT: CentOS server with 2 GbE links to 2 GbE switches

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Fri Aug 26 18:20:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 19:27 +0200, Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 11:02 -0500, rado wrote:
> > Hi Patrick,
> >
> > I run a HA(High Availability) technique that I developed myself whereas
> > 2 servers are redundant syncing up bout every 15-20 seconds. Basically
> > mine is IP oriented instead of machine oriented...either machine can be
> > the master and will stay the master until the slave deems the master as
> > having problems and not being able to handle the server
> > responsibilities. When the slave decides this, it then grabs the roaming
> > IP and turns on the servers and it is then the master.
> >
> > If a redundant HA server is machine oriented, that means that, yes, the
> > slave will take over but as soon as the master comes back on line, the
> > master takes back the roaming ip and starts up the servers and the slave
> > machine will assume slave responsibilities again.
> >
> > these are just some ideas of what you are looking for. Also, google
> > around using High Availability as a keyword...a bunch out there I think,
> > I am just about to the point to start building up my web-site where I
> > will cover my system in depth.
> >
> > Incidently, over the last month or so, the main server seems to loose it
> > and decides to reboot in which case, the slave takes over...I have never
> > been around when it actually happened and sometimes I never even
> > realized it for a day or so. It's kinda seamless and the switch takes
> > bout 20 seconds. My point, I do know it works as it should!
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. The 20 seconds is a bit long for the telco
> service being out of order but I will further investigate the HA stuff
> over at linux-ha.org to see if it can be tweaked.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

I hear ya Patrick, the only reason it is bout 20 secs is because I
cannot just flush the cache in this bs zoom router...I have to reboot it
in the code...if I had a router that I could flush the cache I could do
it in about 5-6 secs which is much better but, hey, I don't really need
it, I don't have bunches goin on and I just do it to do it.

John