[CentOS] Re: file system defragmentation -- "Filesystem Fundamentals and Practices"

Mark Belanger mark_belanger at ltx.com
Sat Aug 27 13:15:34 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
 > On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:04 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
 >
 >>The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things...
 >

 > Okay, here it is:
 >   http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/08/filesystem-fundamentals-and-practices.html

Nicely done.  Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Based on this, you would recommend XFS for filesystems greater
than 100G that will be shared via NFS .. true?

I've been testing NFS read/write speeds to some 800G EXT3 RAID partitions
I have on a CentOS 3.4 macine - specifically comparing them against NetApp
and another low end RAID device.   The linux NFS shares seem to be 20-30
percent slower than the RAID and even worse compared to the NetApp.
The local read/write speeds are good so I'm presuming some NFS tuning
is in order.

Questions:
1. Is XFS likely to help with nfs read/write performance?
2. Any tuning suggestions for a linux nfs file server that has
    a mix of Linux and Solaris clients?

Additonaly Info:
The linux machines are a brand new Dell PowerEdge 2850 with
3x300G disks in a RAID 5 config.

-Mark