[CentOS] Re: impress viewer for openoffice -- herein lies the problem ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Aug 28 05:14:32 UTC 2005

Rohan Walsh <rohan_walsh at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> hate to admit I did this but...
> You can install MS powerpoint viewer using wine
> http://winehq.org/site/download-rh and winetools
> http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/
> Any licencing issues are your responsibility of course.
> I only did it out of curiosity because I needed wine for
> another app, so I haven't used it but once to see if it
> worked (it did) and don't actually have wine installed at
> the moment.

Herein lies the problem.

Because the original poster used the terminology Power Point
(IMPROPER generic term) Viewer, you assumed he wanted a
viewer for the actual Microsoft Power Point(R) (proper name)
application.

In fact, when I first read his post, I _did_ come to the
_same_ initial conclusion as well!

But I was left partially confused and finally realized what
he meant was he wanted a Presentation (generic term) Viewer
for Star[Office]/Open[Office.org]Impress, which he had
incorrectly called a Power Point (IMPROPER generic term)
Viewer.

Which is the ultimate problem I predicted, regularly run into
and, in fact, is what we have here.

Microsoft is smart, I mean really smart, because they do not
tolerate anything, any partner, any entity, anyone to call
things anything but Windows, Office, Word, Power Point,
etc...  They excel so much on branding, and the use of simple
names that they have branded their names as generics in a
handful of years, instead of the decades it took 3M to do for
Scotch Tape, Johnson&Johnson for Q-Tip, etc...

When you use a Windows system, you know it.
But many people use Linux systems daily, and don't know it.
In fact, most large volume Microsoft licensing agreements
require licensees to display and market Windows, Office and
other trademarks more than your own.

As I always say, "How do you know something runs Linux?  You
don't, because there is no requirement that you market it.
How do you know something runs Windows?  Because it's in
larger print than the vendor's own product name."

"You now are now free to bitch-smack around the country."