[CentOS] New User: Kudos, small/old platform, RPM Illegal Instruction

Bill Maltby

wild-bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 16:34:01 UTC 2005

Hello All!

My 1st use of CentOS went well on my later eqpt. Thanks and congrats on
a good product.

Figured I might as well see if I could use it on some old stuff, still
good but obsolete.

Picked an AMD 5x86 (equivalent to a Pentium 75 MHz) and decided to see
if I could make it my gateway/router.

Had some difficulties, not unexpected. Old CD drive couldn't read the
CDs. No boot from CD in BIOS. Floppy was broken. Memory is 36 MB. VLB
MB, appx. 1 GB old slow drives, etc.

Decided to plug HD into another unit and do install there. Went OK, but
for some reason, all the junk I tried to turn off still appears to get
started.

Anyway, my problem is that RPM traps with illegal instruction when a
query all, among other combinations, is attempted.

It does not do it on my AMD XP, but does do it on the old one. Possible
that RPM was compiled with a later arch specified?

If so, is there a way to recompile it on my faster machine for execution
on the older machine? Or has someone already fixed this and I can
download or something?

I'm relatively new to this distribution stuff (been doing LFS in the
past and many other *IX things before that). I did a search using "rpm
illegal instruction" of the lists, but didn't see anything that seemed
appropriate.

By the way, if the rc.sysinit has the swapon moved up to the front,
things work OK. If not, things freeze up as mem is exhausted. Swapon
does not appear to be bothered by the fact that LVM is not in control
yet. Even if it is, I added another disk, set up two swap areas there
and sailed on. Performance counts on a (equiv. to) P75!  8-O

If all this works out, I'll try to send some money.

Also, *if* I'm able, I will help test what I can. Got an old Aptiva over
in the corner too.

Hmmm.... am I really a candidate for this org? Maybe not?