[CentOS] hardware RAID5 - MBR and default grub config on CentOS 4

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Mon Aug 29 18:22:30 UTC 2005

} unless there's something special about your setup... grub-install
} to /dev/sda
}
} and yes, one of the things that Brian did assume correctly was /boot
} should be separately partitioned IF you use LVM - but even if you don't
} use LVM, it's still much easier to fix things if /boot is on it's own
} partition.
}
} Brian ;^)   thanks for clarifying my incorrect terminology though.
}
} Craig

ok, i hear ya.

when you get to the point in a CentOS install from CD or DVD it will ask you
where you want to put boot or MBR or whatever it says and i think it gives
you two choices. i just got done with an install so i cannot actually see or
recall exactly what it says yet something to the effect of and this is off
the top of my head and i dont know if it is exact....

MBR			/dev/ida/c0d0
/boot partition	/dev/ida/c0d0p1

and that's it.

i always choose MBR as when i have chosen the /boot partition i could never
get the machine to boot back up on the final reboot of the unit after
install.

does this help describe it better?

 - rh

--