[CentOS] Re: yum custom install

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:50:43 UTC 2005

On 8/29/05, Maciej Zenczykowski <maze at cela.pl> wrote:
> > It appears one "just has to know about these packages" or have I missed
> > something?
>
> Well, if they're dependencies then they'll install automagically, if
> they're related to a program or two (like php-gd is related to php and gd)
> then the convention is usually of the a-b or b-a format.  The rest is
> usually a matter of installing entire package groups (yum groupinstall) or
> knowing the package name (a little black magic - but then you can guess
> and use "yum info packagename" for info, or even "yum info" for
> everything)

Ever few weeks I like to do "yum list available >YumAvailable.txt" and
then "yum list installed > YumInstalled.txt" so that I can quickly
grep through the files and see what is available or installed.  That
way, if you know you need the php-gd something and you are in the
directory with your YumAvailable.txt and YumInstalled.txt you can do a
"grep -Hi php Yum* | grep -i gd" and have a pretty good idea of
whether you have it or not, whether it's installed or not.

> > Also, when I do a "yum list", I do not see the php-mysql or the php-gd
> > listed.  Am I looking at the incorrect list?
>
> "yum list" lists installable packages in the repositories currently
> enabled.

There are other options you can pass to "yum list" to get "available"
packages in repositories but  not on the system or "installed"
packages.  This information is available in more detail when you
execute "man yum".

Greg