[CentOS] Can't mount FAT32 partition

Tue Aug 30 11:33:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 06:27 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 19:21 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > >Rather than editing /etc/fstab and adding a lot of mount flags to the
> > >mix, start with the basics. Can you do the following as root:
> > >mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
> > >

> > [root at localhost ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
> >        or too many mounted file systems
> >
> > >If yes, then it is a matter of working out the proper flags. If not,
> > >then the file system could be corrupt. When you try the mount command
> > >above, do you see any errors in /var/log/messages or dmesg output?
> > >

> > This is in /var/log/messages:
> > Aug 30 19:16:50 localhost kernel: FAT: invalid first entry of FAT
> > (0xffffff8 != 0x1)
> > Aug 30 19:16:50 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem
> > on dev hda1.
> >
> > So it thinks it's not a valid FAT system. It seems to work okay in
> > Windows... is there a possibility that there are different kinds of FAT32?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Is this a Windows partition?  If so, I would boot in Windows XP an make
> sure you can read the partition in Windows and run chkdsk on it via
> Windows XP to start with.

Windows also has Dynamic disk partitioning, which the normal 2.6 Linux
kernel does not support.  If that disk is a Dynamic partition, you may
need to use the CentOS Plus
( http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/ ) kernel to use that
partition.  I have never had to do this with FAT32, but it is a
possibility.