[CentOS] Can't mount FAT32 partition

Sean O'Connell oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 30 16:52:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 01:43 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >does fdisk agree that it's a Fat volume? What type?
> >

> umount: /dev/hda1: not mounted
> [root at localhost ~]# fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30020272128 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3649 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        3649    29310561    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>
> >and I sort of agree with someone else's previous suggestion to see if
> >you can mount it from command line first before trying to mount via
> >fstab.
> >
> I tried exactly as they said, and got the same error anyway:
> [root at localhost ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>       or too many mounted file systems

Dave-

Did you try installing/booting the centosplus kernel as Johnny
suggested? It might be worth giving it a shot. It could be an issue of
linux seeing the drive geometry differently than windows. I must admit
it is pretty odd. This usually just works.

Does XP have anything interesting to say about the partition?

--
Sean