[CentOS] Can't mount FAT32 partition

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Aug 30 17:12:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 at 1:43am, Dave Gutteridge wrote

> >does fdisk agree that it's a Fat volume? What type?
>
> >and I sort of agree with someone else's previous suggestion to see if
> >you can mount it from command line first before trying to mount via
> >fstab.
> >
> I tried exactly as they said, and got the same error anyway:
> [root at localhost ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>       or too many mounted file systems

Are you *sure* that the FS on that partition is FAT32?  If this is your
WinXP C: drive, I strongly suspect that it's NTFS.  For that you'll need
the centosplus kernel, and you'd need to
'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows'.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering