[CentOS] Remote archiving with tar over ssh

Fri Aug 12 16:52:11 UTC 2005
James B. Byrne <ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca>

I am trying to create a one line command that will:

1. Find all files ending in .conf
2. tar these over ssh to a remote server.

I have reached this point in my trials.

a. I can find the files.

b. I can tar them locally.

c. I can get a simple fileset tar'ed to a remote server over ssh
using tar -zvcf - /some/fileset | ssh host.domain.tld "cat >
/backup/tarfile.tar.gz

d. I cannot get tar to pipe find'ed files to the remote server over
ssh.

My current command line looks like this.

find / -name "*.conf" | xargs -t tar -zcvf - | ssh \
hostname.domain.tld \
"cat > /var/spool/lvm_backups/hostname.city/confs.$(date
+'%Y%m%d').tar.gz"

I have tried replacing "tar -zcvf -" with "tar -zcvf - {}" and "tar -
zcvf {}" to no avail.  The problem is that tar does not see the pipe
to ssh and exits with signal 13.  What am I missing?

Regards,
Jim

--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca