[CentOS] Booting into GNOME

Tue Aug 16 00:05:25 UTC 2005
Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>

First let me thank those who have been of great help in getting a better
understanding of loading Linux and using yum.

In order to avoid having a read error from the installer after well
along the process, I decided to try loading the minimal Linux and then
installing what I need.  But that is requiring me to expand my knowlege
about the installation/boot process (not a bad thing).

So, I used yum to install the GNOME grouplist and I set the ID in
inittab to 5 so it would boot in the graphical mode.  That did not
happen, so I loaded the X-Window grouplist and it did bring me into the
graphical mode (after asking me the setup questions I usually get when I
do an install in the Graphical mod).

Why are the questions asked at this point?  Not when I was in the
text/minimal mode.  Since I have never done a text install, I do not
know what I would have had to do to have the questions asked if I had
stayed in the text mode (as I guess many do for a server only install).

Now my main question is "how do I get Linux to come up in Gnome"?  It is
coming up in what I suspect is X-Windows.

Again, many thanks for your help and patience....

--
Ariste Software
200 D Street Ext