[CentOS] KDE as default, and looking up CentOS on the web.

Tue Aug 2 02:44:37 UTC 2005
Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>

On 8/1/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> >Dave ... there is no relationship between centos and rh ...
> >
> Sorry, that was poor wording. I didn't mean a relationship in terms of
> any official partnership between the creators. I meant a relationship in
> the sense that they share a lot of the same features and design. I mean,
> I don't know what RHE looks like, but I know that Fedora and CentOS look
> exactly alike, as far as my newbie eyes can tell.

Yeah, not so much "share same features and design" but "as exact of a
copy as is legally possible and damn near exactly the same".  But I
feel like you get it and we're just nitpicking.

<snip>

> Let me qualify further. I know that probably a lot of issues I'm likely
> to ask about are more Linux specific than CentOS specific. And I also
> know that so long as I'm reading information about some kind of Red Hat
> build, it probably applies to CentOS. And I also know that most issues
> are to do with the applications rather than the OS.
> But as a newbie, I'm always nervous that if I take information about a
> Linux command from some Linux infortmation web site and apply it on my
> system, it will turn out as often as not that things don't work exactly
> as the web site says, because there's some setting somewhere that makes
> CentOS just a little different from what the web site says.
> It's really comforting when trying to look up information on the net to
> see the information provided in a context that is as close to your own
> as possible. Fedora seems to have lots of people saying they run it and
> here's what they did to configure whatever it was they wanted to
> configure. CentOS... not so much.
> Is it really just that CentOS is so new it hasn't taken hold yet?

Well, it was one of the top three vote winners in the Linux Journal
Editors Choice 2005 awards, so I wouldn't say that it hasn't taken
hold.  I think that we are all entering the wrongs keywords in our
articles and our web searches.  I've seen some people call CentOS and
it's ilk (Tao, White Box, Scientific, etc.) by the name RBEL for
ReBuild Enterprise Linux and others just post comments and articles
saying "RHEL" and later clarify that it was really on a rebuild
environment.  It's something that the ReBuilds ought to figure out if
they want to build a good following, but that will come with time.

Until then, this mailing list, the forums on Centos, the Fedora
mailing lists,  Redhat documentation - these are all good places to
find documentation on how/what to do.

Greg