[CentOS] Bacula

Tue Aug 2 16:36:21 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 10:56, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> I'm also looking (well, planning to look) into Bacula as an alternative to
> Amanda.  Couple of questions.
>
> Can I have my backups go to the disk, instead of using tapes?  Can I have some
> on disk, and some on tapes?  On-site disk, off-site tapes combination?

If you are only using disk - or you can leave amanda running the tapes
but plan to only restore from them in a disaster situation, consider
backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/).  It is basically
'full auto' on the backup side - even more than amanda since you
don't even have to swap tapes.  It uses an interesting scheme of
compression and hardlinks to greatly reduce the storage space you
need, and it gives you a web-browsable interface to select files
to restore or download through the browser.

> The ability to tell backup system "I want server.mycorp.com's /etc/foobar.conf
> from two months ago restored" and then simply sit back and relax while backup
> server is doing all the job automatically in the background is priceless.  Is
> Bacula able to do that?

Within the range of what you can keep online (which turns out to be
about 8x more than you could without the compression/links), backuppc
will do that.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com