[CentOS] RPM Compatibility

Tue Aug 2 18:57:14 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV>

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:40 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> It is my understanding that  RPMs built for RHEL 4 are suppose to be
> compatible with  Centos 4.1.

Yes.  Have had no problems with 3rd party EL4 RPMs that would seem to
have anything to do with CentOS4 vs. RHEL4 differences.

> How about ones built for Fedora 3 or 4?

FC3 - pretty good bet, but I still prefer to rebuild from SRPMs.
FC4 - very iffy at best.  Even rebuilding can be problematic with the
significant differences with gcc4 and libs.

Phil