[CentOS] Re: Japanese Language Support? -- same system, multipleuses with multiple languages

Wed Aug 3 15:01:29 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

Following advice given here, I seem to be further along. Also, switching
to KDE seems to have helped as well.

Now, when I open certain applications, mainly FireFox and OpenOffice, I
get a small "Input Switcher" window. It has only a drop down menu on it,
and if I click on the drop down, I see "Japanese" as an input option.
But, if I select that, then nothing really happens. Typing in the
application still happens in English.

If I click on the "system-switch-im" icon in the top panel, I get a
window which allows me to select an "Input Method System". I can choose
"iiimf" or Advanced Settings. Under Advanced Settings, Japanese is
listed. If I go into advanced settings and select Japanese, I'm further
presented with different input methods. Can't quite figure out what the
difference is between them, though, as selecting any of them doesn't
seem to do anything.

Dave