[CentOS] Trying to get up and running with Open Office beta

Wed Aug 3 16:14:49 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

>There are a whole slew of packages in the Beta.  On my system they are
>on the KDE menus and the binaries can be found in
>/opt/openoffice.org1.9.113/program/ - this needs to be on your path.

I can see all the programs in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.122/program/ but I
can't figure out how to get them onto my panel or anywhere in the menus.
It would be ncie to be able to access them from the panel.

When I right click on the panel, it gives me the option to "Add", and
then I can select applications from drop down menus, but they're all the
same applications available in the Applications drop down on the far
left hand side of the panel.

How do I get my OpenOffice Beta available by clicking an icon? I'm using
KDE.

And how to I associate .ods files with OpenOffice Beta? When I right
click on them, I can select to "Open With..." and search in the
directory, but I can't figure out which file is an executable program.
They aren't labelled "calc" and "write" or anything like that.

>My $0.02 - wait until somebody comes out with a set of CentOS4 upgrade
>packages.

Well, yes, I could do that. Except I'm impatient and demanding. And
somewhat foolhardy... or perhaps just foolish. After all, I did install
an entire operating system without really knowing what I was doing.

Dave