[CentOS] Re: centos] What do I need to do in order to dial into my server?

Thu Aug 4 02:48:53 UTC 2005
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Kevin Anderson wrote:

> I need to setup my server so I can connect to it through it's phone modem.
> Is there a howto anyone knows of?  I'm not even sure what to look it up as.

This is fairly straightforward with the mgetty package, and
has not changed materially from RHL 7 days.  At one time, I
had a step-by-step outline, as it was a bit tricky to get the
'auto-ppp' option working, so as to authenticate against the
/etc/passwd /etc/shadow, file values (using 'pam' as it
occurs to me).

/me goes and looks ... oh yeah ... back in RHL 7.2 they (RH)
broke ppp a bit against the MS DUN tool, but that is probably
long fixed by now.

    http://www.owlriver.com/projects/ppp/

As I recall,  /etc/mgetty/getty.conf and /etc/ppp/options, and
possibly the /etc/ppp/peers <?> files needed to be configured.
I don't find that I have an external writeup on the process.
I will check at the office tomorrow for one.

- Russ Herrold