[CentOS] What's the Linux equivelant of an exe file?

Thu Aug 4 15:05:33 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> This is one of those questions that seems to be soo obvious to people
> that no one feels the need to have an explanation anywhere. I've been
> looking around the net for ages, and I can't figure out what, on Linux,
> is actually a program.

file '/path/to/file' will tell you. But you still need to give execute
permissions.

> I've downloaded OpenOffice 1.9 Beta, and would like to run it. I go to
> the /opt/openoffice.org1.9.122/program/ directory and... then what? What
> do I run to start the thing? I've hunted around with ls, and I thought
> bin files were the thing, but they don't seem to run.

use ls -l

Files with a 'x' in the permissions are executable.

oowrite or something like that for word processing.