[CentOS] Recommended hardware for a firewall/router?

Fri Aug 5 09:37:19 UTC 2005
Harald Finnås <spamcatcher at lantrix.no>

Not really a CentOS specific question, but I hope it's ok...

I've decided to buy a server to use as a firewall/router instead of the
usual Cisco box, simply because I've come to love Firewall Builder and
would like to put all my subnets into one firewall. There will be four
gigabit interfaces in the box, one of which will be the internet
connection (so this one interface will use max. 10 mbit).

Question is if any "normal" hardware will be able to handle this if most
of the interfaces gets saturated? What chipset / motherboard should I go
for?

On a sidenote, I've noticed from the subject on some of the most recent
messages that Bryans beeing hassled. I dunno what it's really about since
I haven't read the messages, but I'd like to say that I consider Bryan to
be a valuable asset to this list.

Regards,
Harald