[CentOS] Is this message from YUM a bad thing?

Fri Aug 5 10:05:23 UTC 2005
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

It's because a performance enhancing tech. called prelink(ing) is enabled.
It's on by default but can be turned off by editing /etc/sysconfig/prelink.
It can drastically improve the launch time for large c++ applications. But
has certain negative side effects (for example the md5sum of binaries can
change when prelink runs (daily through crond)).

That said, the errors should be safe to ignore. But then again if they were
completely safe they shouldn't stop yum... I usually turn prelink off.

/Peter

On Friday 05 August 2005 10.31, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I was doing a YUM update, and it found about 70 packages to download and
> install.
>
> While installing, this message popped up a couple of times:
> /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libk3bdevice.so.2.0.0.#prelink#.X8kEMh is
> empty, not checked.
>
> And then after about three or four times of saying that, the YUM update
> stopped without finishing. So I started it again, and it picked up where
> it left off, so I figured it was no big deal. Then, about mid way
> through, it did it again.
>
> I went through this process a couple more times, and eventually it
> updated all the packages.
>
> But what does it mean, and is it significant? Should I care?
>
> Dave

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se