[CentOS] Re: Generating xorg.config -- varying "nv" driver support between versions

Fri Aug 5 14:43:29 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 10:27 -0400, David Evennou (Data Masters) wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> I tried system-config-display with the resulting message:
> Trying with card: NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)
> xconf.py: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
> :17.0.--display=:1: Fatal IO error 104 (Conenction reset by peer) on X
> server "17.0.
> Ideas?

When in doubt, "init 1" and run the X tool from "setup".

Also note what video card you are using?
Give me the exact make/model.

Understand that the "generic" GeForce FX (NV30) might not work for
latter FX cards (e.g., NV31, NV33, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV38 are different
FX models).

A major factor is the support of various cards for a particular
XFree/Xorg version.

MIT Freedomware "nv" driver in XFree86 releases:
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/nv.4.html
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/nv.4.html
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.1/nv.4.html
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/nv.4.html
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/nv.4.html
  http://www.xfree86.org/4.5.0/nv.4.html

MIT Freedomware "nv" driver in X.org releases:
  http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.1/doc/nv.4.html
  http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/nv.4.html

In the worst case, the nVidia Standardware "nvidia" driver is always an
option for newer card support when you don't want to have to load a
newer XFree/Xorg on an older distro.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com