[CentOS] Java installation problem.

Sat Aug 6 18:57:56 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> I downloaded the   jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin    files and then
> run it as   ./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin.
> It resulted in an rpm file. and then i used
> rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm

I assume from your install steps that you're using the package
downloaded from Sun's website. This java install goes into /usr/java/
which is not in your path by default.

> Everything went fine and I didn't get any error.
> But when I do
> java -version    ......i don't get any output.

You won't with this rpm, as it's still running /usr/bin/java which is
a placeholder type file.

> I would like to know whether java is installed on my system or not.

Yes, it's installed but since it is not in your path, so unless you
run it directly with /usr/java/jre-xxxxx/bin/java it won't work.

If all you need is the runtime environment, you can install this from
dag's repository (dag.wieers.com/home-made/j2re/ install instructions
for the repo at http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B4 )

If you want to use what you already have, you will need to add an
entry to your path. You can do this on a per-user basis by editing the
.bashrc or .bash_profile files with an entry like

PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/jre-xxx/bin
export PATH

Of the two, I'd rpm -e what you've already got installed, and ensure
that the /usr/java/ dir is gone (I don't really trust sun's packaging)
and install the packages from dag's repo. They're quite good, and
significantly more user friendly.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT