[CentOS] Samba Update

Sun Aug 7 15:52:17 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 8/7/05, Support <support at ev-theol.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
> we have CentOS 3.3 running here on our Samba server. Problem is, that we
> need to mount samba shares on our Win2003 server.
> Is there a way to install (new) samba-3.1 rpms for CentOS 3.3? tia!

First I'd recommend upgrading to CentOS 3.5, as it has a number of
security fixes not in 3.3.
Second, and mostly for clarification, the samba 3.0.9 included with
centos 3.5 works like a champ with win2003server. Is there any
specific reason you need 3.1?

Lastly, yes you can install samba 3.1 rpms on the system, but this
will break from RHEL3 compatibility and you won't get security updates
for the 3.1 rpms unless you install those yourself also.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT