[CentOS] kernel panic last night

Sun Aug 7 15:55:52 UTC 2005
Deim Ágoston <ago at lsc.hu>

> Cam in this morning and had the dump info on screen but could not find
> anything in the /var/log/messages file. I am using CentOS 4.1. Had been
if you see a kernel panic on the screen the chances are very little to
find anything in messages file or in the filesystem. Because it's a panic
the kernel doesn't have the chance to sync the filesystem or do anything.
You have several debug options and use of netdump but nothing is 100%
sure. What was on the screen? The last messages. Next time try to provide
some useful info to the list if you want some help. All I can say right
now: ok, your machine crashed, and what? There are thousands of
possibilities why this happened. Try to use LKCD
http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/ .

Try to provide the next info:
- last message of the screen
- attach the whole crash dump
- details of the machine (IA32, x86-64, CPU type, memory type, motherboard
type, disk controller)
- system setting (LVM, sw raid, filesystem, SELinux or not etc.)

Bye,
Ago