[CentOS] Samba Update

Mon Aug 8 10:47:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:12 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Mike Zanker wrote:
> > On 7/8/05 16:52, Jim Perrin wrote:
> >
> > > First I'd recommend upgrading to CentOS 3.5, as it has a number of
> > > security fixes not in 3.3.
> >
> > Does it? What's the difference between an up-to-date 3.3 installation
> > and an up-to-date 3.5 installation? 3.3 is just a symlink to 3.5 on the
> > mirrors, from what I can see.

That is correct ... the 3.1, 3.3, 3.4 all are pointing to 3.5 ... SO, if
you maintain your system updated, you are at 3.5.

If you don't update your system, then there are many changes between 3.3
and 3.5.

> It is two "minor releases" further. If /etc/redhat-release tells you,
> that you still have CentOS 3.3, then you haven't updated your system for
> close to 6 months - so a "fully patched" 3.3 cannot be "fully patched" -
> as it will become a 3.5 system just by running "yum update".

Right ... you can tell your version with the command:

cat /etc/redhat-release

> Besides the security updates RedHat sometimes also pushes functioniality
> upgrades with the minor releases.
>
> Ralph

This is another good time to point out that the real release is EL 3
(for the upstream provider) and CentOS 3 ... and that updates (if done)
automatically move you to EL 3 Update 5 for the upstream provider and to
CentOS-3.5.

Please see this FAQ answer concerning the version cycle for CentOS:

http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34