[CentOS] Re: Caching nameserver -- Name Services Cache Daemon (nscd)

Mon Aug 8 23:15:40 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

William Warren wrote:
> no i have not..:)  I am realy interested in learning Bind
> right now since that is what is able to be accessed through
> webmin(which i am NOT using for this excersize).

I think what Peter was directing you towards is the Name
Services Cache Daemon (nscd).  It is a _transparent_ "start'n
forget" client service that caches names (e.g., DNS), NIS
maps (e.g., hosts, passwd, group, etc...) and other network
information.  You don't need to configure it.

It's much easier and more secure to deal with the simple need
of clients to catch name and other network mapped services
(like NIS).