[CentOS] Setting X in 1024x768 60 hz refresh for LCD TV viewing

Wed Aug 10 18:10:05 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I am trying to hook up linux to an LCD 1333x768 LCD TV.
> XP in 1024x768 show up just fine. X does not.
> I have set the screen preferences to 1024x768. I have
> edited the xorf.conf file instead of have a range from 50
> - 70 I change it to be only 60. I start X and it still
comes
> up on my A70F monitor but still will not show on my LCD TV.

You also need to change the horizontal scan range.
Changing the vertical will not do it.

Consider:

1.  Open up the manual for the LCD and get the _exact_
vertical _and_ horizontal scan ranges.

2.  Use the _exact_ scan ranges for VESA 1024x768 at 60Hz.

3.  Booting Linux with the VESA 1024x768 framebuffer (e.g.,
vga=791 I believe?) and using that X server instead of the
video card's driver.

#1 is most ideal.
#2 is an option to explore only if you can't do #1.
#3 should be a "last resort" (low performance)

> xvidtune does not run on this PC. It says something about
> "video modes are not tunable on this chip".

Please don't tell me it's an Intel integrated video ...
(I've had numerous scan range issues with such)

> My PC at this time is a dell SC420.

Yep, it is.

> Thanks for any input as to get the display working on the
> LCD TV under linux.

XP merely defaults to VESA modes.
X11 tries to use the monitor at the most optimal rate by
default, hence why your horizontal/vertical needs to be
_exact_.

-- Bryan

P.S.  DVI solves most of these issues.