[CentOS] Re: Bind Setup -- summary of "things to know"

Thu Aug 11 16:49:14 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Frankly, although there are a few "wrapper management
> tools" for enterprises around ISC DHCP and BIND, I'd really
> like to see an "unified" layer-2/3 name service solution
> come from the open source world.  God knows with IPv6, it
> is also redundant to keep DHCP and DNS separate, and not
> under the control of a single daemon.

Er, let me rephrase that, a single _set_ of daemons that are
drive by the same framework/config files.  In other words,
daemons that worked directly with each other.

E.g., a good set of daemons would include:
- RARP protocol (BOOTP/DHCP)
- DDNS updates (from clients, including "override" logic)
- DNS queries
- DNS zone transfers (legacy BIND/DNS secondary servers)
- Legacy ident/proxy/service integration (NetBIOS/WINS,
SAP/NLSP)
- Peer replication (to the same daemons on other systems)

Especially since IPv6 uses MAC addresses, and any standard
node can have up to three (3) IPv6 addresses.