[CentOS] Remote archiving with tar over ssh

Sat Aug 13 00:03:12 UTC 2005
Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com>

On 8/12/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 11:52, James B. Byrne wrote:
>
> > d. I cannot get tar to pipe find'ed files to the remote server over
> > ssh.
> >
> > My current command line looks like this.
> >
> > find / -name "*.conf" | xargs -t tar -zcvf - | ssh \

Why not:
$rsync -avzP -e ssh -n --exclude-from=somefile /path/to/your/source
ip:/path/to/remote

some file is:
+ *.conf
- *.*

path to source is your directory from where you wan to export - say /home
path to remote is target directory where home is to be compied - say /
Note: no ending "/"
This will do a dry run on the screen. Once you are satisfied with the
files you are getting remove -n from above and the job will be done.

man rsync for details.

Sorry this went away from what you were attempting.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux