[CentOS] How can I make these command prompt settings into universal settings?

Sat Aug 13 10:40:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 18:15 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I've got it so that I can enable Japanese input into an application by
> typing the following at a command prompt (with FireFox, for example):
> [dave at localhost ~]$ kinput2 -canna &
> [1] 10631
> [dave at localhost ~]$ XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 firefox
>
> However, I would rather not have to type in all that craziness each time
> I want to start an application. Further, instead of having to configure
> each application individually, it would be better to have this setting
> just on all the time for every application, both existing and new.
>
> I was under the impression this was possible. Following advice gained
> elswhere, I thought I could put the following into /etc/X11/Xresources:
> ! Japanese Input
> #!/bin/sh
> XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> kinput2 -canna &
>
> But doing so results in Japanese input not being available for any
> application.
>
> I'm using KDE, and I learned that I should be able to put any shell
> script in the ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory and have it launch on start.
> So I put a file there called j-input.sh, changed it's permissions with
> chmod 755, and put the same commands that I had in Xresources.
>
> But still no result.
>
> Long story short: How do I get these command line settings to be
> permanently on:
> XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> kinput2 -canna &

You should be able to put this in your (the user you login as)
~/.bash_profile:

export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -canna &

If that works, and if you need them for all users, you can later move
them to a file named ja-support in /etc/profile.d/

That might not be the best solution though.

I don't know how iiimf works ... but I notice that there are plenty of
files in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d for
CentOS-4 that are related to iiimf, there has to be another way to make
it autoload.