[CentOS] Using YUM

Sat Aug 13 11:02:16 UTC 2005
Abd El-Hameed Ayad <hamid at use-trade.com>

First, YUM is always installed & configured by defaut.
To insure it is installed, run this command
# rpm -qv yum
If the answer were that package yum is not installed so you should use the
installtion CDs to install it or use any of the download mirrors listed @
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

If it is already installed run the following command
# yum -y update
if it is a fresh install you may get a message about missing GPG key, in
this case run the following command
#  rpm --import http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
for CentOS-4  OR
#  rpm --import http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-3
for CentOS-3
Otherwise, if you got messages about setting up repos so your YUM is working

To install any package issue the command
# yum -y install Package_Name

Finally, Main yum configuration file is /etc/yum.conf & repos configuration
resides under /etc/yum.repos.d

Also, you can find apt RPM @
http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/repodata/repoview/apt-0-0.5.15cnc7-1.html

Hope this will help
Hameed

 (Contents of the configuration files below based on CentOS-4 only, Don't
use for CentOS-3)
Default main configuration file is  /etc/yum.conf & here is a snapshot of
its default settings

########################## Begin /etc/yum.conf ##########################
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=centos-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

Under /etc/yum.repos.d you should have the repos files