[CentOS] ReiserFS and CentOS

Tue Aug 16 19:25:07 UTC 2005
Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com>

On 8/2/05, Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Bjorn Andersenq wrote:
> > Under install of RHEL or CentOS type;
> >
> > linux reiserfs
> >
> > And you will be able to install and format ReiserFS file system.
> > BUT be aware, ReiserFS is not SELinux compatible.
> >

> I would be really surprised if this works, considering there is no
> ReiserFS support in the -BOOT kernel.
>
> You need to make changes in the anaconda code as well as rebuild the
> install images in order to have reiserFS/ xfs etc avaialble at install time.
>
> One option, that usually works well, is to have a small'ish install
> partition for the OS, and post install build your data / storage volumes
> with whatever filesystem you want, using the CentOSPlus kernel on
> CentOS4, or the kernel-unsuported on CentOS3.

I browsed and grepped throught he source code of Anaconda and loader.c
for both CentOS and Fedora 4 for all occurrences of reiserfs and xfs.
Code in Anaconda and loader.c in CentOS still has support for ReiserFS
and XFS (same in Fedora Core 4), however xfs and reiserfs arguments
passed (from isolinux/syslinux) do not work in CentOS.  The kernel
runs loader which then runs Anaconda so I don't see anything else that
could be stripping out "xfs" or "reiserfs."