[CentOS] Re: Firefox and Java on CentOS 4.1 -- [OT] Eccentric naming conventions

Tue Aug 16 20:39:06 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:
> And thats as it should be. Guess I'll need to bone up on
> what is and isn't free software.

Once again, I will re-iterate my "eccentric" suggestions:
- Freedomware (Open Standard, Open Source)
- Standardware (Open Standard, Proprietary Source)
- Sourceware (Proprietary Standard, Open Source)
- Commerceware (Proprietary Standard, Proprietary Source)

The Java API itself is an open standard.

Sun JRE/JDK is almost Standardware, but should be considered
Commerceware (standard with redistribution clause), at least
I've never seen the sourcecode of the JRE/JDK.
Blackdown JRE/JDK is almost Freedomware, but should be
considered Sourceware(standard with redistribution clause due
to license).
I believe IBM JRE/JDK is CPL (MPL-like) Standardware or
Freedomware, depending on source code availablility (clean
room design, even if Java itself is under license), but I
could be wrong.

Open Source MP3 codecs are Sourceware (standard with IP
issues).
Ogg codecs are Freedomware.

I know people think I'm arrogant for suggesting these names,
but in my consulting endeavors, several legal departments
have thanked me for my suggestions.  The fact that I don't
stand for the oversimplification of a 1-dimension of "open"
and "proprietary" and try to separate them each out into
2-dimensions against "standards" and "source."