[CentOS] Are these steps for re-installing Gnome correct/safe?

Wed Aug 17 16:31:03 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

I did all of the following:

><Control><Alt><F2> # get a text virtual console
>login as root
>cd /home/USER_NAME_OF_USER_YOU_WANT_TO_RESET
>mv .gnome .gnome.bak
>mv .gnome2 .gnome2.bak
>(much the same for kde)
>rm -fr /tmp/* # remove any existing session data stored in /tmp
><Alt><F7> # return to gdm/kdm login

... and still nothing has changed on my desktop. My Gnome environment is
still not reset to it's default, or initial, settings.
Actually, one thing and one thing only has changed. At the top left of
the screen, where there used to be a Red Hat red fedora icon, there is
now a blue foot icon for Gnome. And just to the right of the
"Applications" and "Actions" menus, there used to be two icons, one for
Firefox and one for Thunderbird. Those two icons are now gone. And
that's it. That's all tha changes by wiping out my .gnome and .gnome2
settings.

This is weird. How can it be so difficult to reset Gnome back to default
theme, icons, and menu items?

Dave