[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core

Wed Aug 17 18:13:11 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Craig White wrote:

>> However, I'm rather tired of the continual pressure
>> applied by them to "upgrade" to the next "level".
>> I'd like a stable platform which doesn't shift around
>> underneath my development. I'm more interested in
>> Linux as a tool, than as an object of interest in
>> and of itself. I'm more interested in using it than
>> in getting it to work.

That would be CentOS, IMHO. I went through this this weekend. I tried
Fedora Core 4, Ubuntu, etc. on a new laptop I bought for doing development
out and about.

> That is the stated agenda for Fedora. Still, for my desktop, I am
> running Fedora...but not for servers.
>
> Craig

Yeah, I just can't do Fedora. Partly because of the upgrade cycle, and
partly because of stability issues, beta software, etc. I tried it this
weekend. I even tried Ubuntu (which is better IMHO), but eventually my
laptop got slapped with CentOS and... what do you know... CentOS is a fine
laptop OS as long as you don't need stuff like hibernation.

Preston