[CentOS] Installing CentOS 4.1 on IA64

Thu Aug 18 03:40:01 UTC 2005
Yeo Chang Lim <yeocl at bii.a-star.edu.sg>

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 17:55 +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>/ Hi,
/>/
/>/
/>/ On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 05:48:50PM +0800, Yeo Chang Lim wrote:
/>/ > Hi,
/>/ >
/>/ > I am trying to install Centos 4.1 on IA64 machine. However, during
/>/ > anyone has this problem? I think it's due to initrd.img
/>/
/>/ You need to give some more information
/>/
/>/ a) What kind of hardware (rx1600, rx2600 only tested by me, maintainer)
/>/ b) where you boot from (CD i'd assume)
/>/ c) What does it panic for. There must be something on the screen
/>/
/>/ Generally. The information 'i boot it on something something and it's
/>/ panics' isn't enought.
/

Lim,
also, make sure that the machine you're installing on is IA64 and not
AMD (which is x86_64).  One of our guys made that mistake last week, and
wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why it was panicking.

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. I am sure that my machine is an IA64 and not x86_64.

The hardware is HP rx4610 running Itanium 1 processor and not Itanium 2.
I tried booting from both pxe and CD. Both gave the same error.

The error message is " kernel panic - not syncing : Fatal exception" This error
comes out after  "running /sbin/loader " message during boot up.