[CentOS] using various IDE or SCSI hard drive interfaces with CentOS Linux questions

Thu Aug 18 15:56:08 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

"Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> As to SATA I don't have as much experience but the thing to
> look for is the specific chip set used.

The only issue you might have will be device assignment.

If the distribution/kernel uses an ATA driver, it will be hd.
If the distribution/kernel uses a SCSI block driver, it will
be sd.

ATA is a single driver build (even if different files).

SCSI is a subsystem (typically a module) with support modules
for the host controller (3w-xxxx, aic7xxx, nv_sata, etc...)
and host devices (sd, sr, etc... modules).

In a nutshell ...

Many distro/kernels are using the SCSI subsystem for SATA
until the changes are merged into the kernel main ATA's code.
tree  This could have an effect when upgrading and/or
changing chispets if a driver is merged into the standard ATA
code tree.

[ SIDE NOTE:  This isn't just a Linux approach, as other
vendors often use the modular SCSI subsystem to support
various ATA devices that are not in the OS' ATA codebase. ]