[CentOS] Re: The scariest set up of all: Printer Support -- step-by-step: Canon PIXUS iP3100

Fri Aug 19 06:25:18 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:53 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> This is not an option. I already have my printer, that I've had since
> long before the descision to switch to Linux. I do not have the finances
> to switch printers on a whim.

We understand this.  I just let you know that you should consider
researching to minimize your finances with Windows too.

> In any case, please note:
> I am not asking if Linux can or should support the printer I have. I've
> already read web sites which indicate it's possible. What I am asking is
> how and where I access printer configuration commands so that I may try
> the drivers that are suggested on the web sites I've read.

This article seems step-by-step in setting up CUPS for your _exact_
model (Canon PIXUS iP3100, correct?):
  http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=167600449

Understand your printer relies on 100% _Windows_only_ software.  Not only
that, but it seems to be 100% tied to _specific_ versions of Windows (I
see many people complaining about it not being supported in a few
versions of Windows).

Luckily, the CUPS wizards have been busy creating an emulation layer.
As such, you can use a nice Postscript Printer Definition (PPD) file
into this emulation layer so it can spit back out all that nasty,
CPU/software driven printer code that makes your printer unable to print
anywhere near the actual pages per minute (God I want to get vendors for
"false advertising" on speeds due to 0 intelligence on the printer).

Now if the Cannon drivers don't work for you, I don't know what to tell
you.  But understand they probably won't look perfect, because CUPS is
emulating the Windows Graphical Display Interface (GDI) layer.  In fact,
printouts between Windows versions probably won't match either.

[ Let alone Windows Vista chucks the GDI, meaning it will probably be
quite useless for it. ;-]

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com