[CentOS] YUM and RPM often freezes my computer

Sat Aug 20 19:16:10 UTC 2005
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 00:52 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> >Cleans packages and headers downloaded ... the headers will be
> >downloaded again the next time you run yum update
> >
> Thank you. I hope that will help alleviate the problem.
>
> One further question, though. Is this situation regulated to just YUM,
> or is it possible that I have other programs or processes filling up var
> or otherwise consuming hard drive space? Is there some sort of general
> cleaning I should be doing with Linux to keep my hard drive from filling
> with unecessary data?

Well if you run the up2date tool it will fill up /var/spool/up2date with
cached headers and packages that have been downloaded (if it's set to
keep packages after installation).

Other than that there is not much "unnecessary" files that build up in
var in a normal workstation install.  In /var/log is where the log files
go, those get rotated out and then deleted automatically.

If you su to root and cd to /var and try "du -hs *" it will tell you
where under /var to look to find anything that is taking up of space.

Paul