[CentOS] RE: trying to upgrade from Centos 4.0 to current --repair RPM database

Sat Aug 20 19:45:39 UTC 2005
David Campbell <decampbell1 at comcast.net>

the --initdb and then --rebuilddb solved all of the problem except the
kernel issue...

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org]On
Behalf Of Bryan J. Smith
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 3:29 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] RE: trying to upgrade from Centos 4.0 to current
--repair RPM database

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 19:15 +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> man page
> ========
> 'Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to rebuild the
> database indices from the installed package headers.'
> As in --initdb would efectively nuke all your bookkeeping about
> installed RPMS.

Last time I checked --initdb just creates an empty database.  --
rebuilddb creates an empty database and re-populates it.  You can run
the latter after former.  In fact, I typically had to do that back with
early RPM 4.0.

Furthermore, RPM 4 can get RPM database info from outside the database.
Remember, the db is just an index.  The RPM information is stored
outside of it too.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com