[CentOS] CentOS4 and older megaraid - SOLVED?

Sat Aug 20 20:53:25 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 11:42 -0600, William wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I found that when I booted into linux rescue, I could switch consoles..
> > Alt-F2
> >
> > rmmod megaraid_mbox
> > rmmod megaraid_mm
> > mkdir /mnt/floppy
> > mount /dev/fdo /mnt/floppy
> > insmod /mnt/floppy/megaraid.ko
>
> When in rescue mode, I can access the command shell, as you indicated.
> I could also insert the megaraid-i586 module, as you indicated.
> However, because I'm in rescue mode -- and after successfully adding the
> megaraid.ko kernel module -- I am forced back out to the command shell
> by the installer at the last rescue screen (where it offers to mount
> your existing file system).
>
> Then, what?  How do I actually install CentOS 4 at this point?  I never
> saw anaconda.
>
> The tuxyturvy link reads, "At this point complete switch back to the
> normal install screen by pressing Alt-F1."  This does nothing.
>
> Thanks for your help!
----
you don't install in 'linux rescue' mode...that's what you have to do
when you install the wrong module and have to fix things.

Follow the instructions on the web page - but see my notes previously in
thread. CentOS makes it a bit more difficult because it needs the
megaraid.ko built with i586 kernel but when the 'megaraid.ko' you copy
into /lib/modules/2.6.9-11.EL[smp]/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid has to
be built with the 686/smp version and not the 586 version or it won't
work.

This of course has nothing to do with linux rescue mode

Craig