[CentOS] RE: trying to upgrade from Centos 4.0 to current -- repair RPM database

Sat Aug 20 21:28:36 UTC 2005
Pasi Pirhonen <upi at papat.org>

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 02:29:27PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 19:15 +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> > man page
> > ========
> > 'Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to rebuild the
> > database indices from the installed package headers.'
> > As in --initdb would efectively nuke all your bookkeeping about
> > installed RPMS.
>
> Last time I checked --initdb just creates an empty database.  --
> rebuilddb creates an empty database and re-populates it.  You can run
> the latter after former.  In fact, I typically had to do that back with
> early RPM 4.0.
>
> Furthermore, RPM 4 can get RPM database info from outside the database.
> Remember, the db is just an index.  The RPM information is stored
> outside of it too.

Sorry. You're actually right. --initdb don't nuke the RPM database.
I've actually not done it ever on live system, but usually used it to
make empty one for chroot. Obviously i assumed it writing over the
current RPM database as it _should do init_

Just tested and it does not nuke the RPM database.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/