[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core (release dates slipping)

Mon Aug 22 05:27:44 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:38 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Not true, not true at all.  Fedora Core is modeled after the
> same Red Hat Linux model ...
> Again, the 2+2+2 model was not only proven in Red Hat Linux, it's not
> only still used in Fedora Core, but as I mentioned, Red Hat Linux "hit"
> the 6 months continually (give or take 2-3 weeks) -- over _14_ releases!

I know this is a thread long removed, but I wanted to point something
out.

Fedora Core 4 actually slipped to almost 7 months -- the first time that
had ever happened (except for the Red Hat Linux 10 to Fedora Core 1
switchover).
  FC3 = 2004 Nov 08
  FC4 = 2005 Jun 13

The current, projected roadmap for Fedora Core 5 looks to be 8 months,
circa 2006 Feb.  And don't be surprised if that slips to even 9 months!

So the reality is actually looking like Red Hat is (even if indirectly)
extending development time on Fedora Core.  In fact, it wouldn't
surprise me if the "epoch"** is actually removed since Fedora Core is
not managed a product like Red Hat Linux was.

But a release every 7-9 months sorta makes sense since it now seems that
an 18-month enterprise release comes out every 2 community releases.
There's no pre-set, pre-announced, fixed community release schedule, and
Red Hat has never had such in its entire history.

**NOTE:  One thing to keep-in-mind is that any comments on Fedora Core
are made with regard to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, _not_ Red Hat Linux.
A lot of people forget that context.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com