[CentOS] Re: Has anyone got dvd::rip to work in CentOS?

Mon Aug 22 10:07:24 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Just looking at some stats from this end, I assure you that
> there are a _lot_ of people using CentOS on the desktop /
> workstation.  A lot of thousands that is :)

Red Hat Desktop (RHD) is the volume licensed version of Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) WS.

As a Gentoo user myself, I don't think "ports" distros are
necessarily better or worse "in general" than a "packages"
distro for desktops.  And even then, I don't think a
SLA-focused" packages" distro is better or worse "in general"
than a more fluid "packages" distro for desktops.

If you do a crapload of customization, then a "ports" distro
is better.  That could be a desktop, it could be a server.

Of course, if you do less customization, or you have a strict
configuration management policy that requires packages, or a
vendor trusted set of regression-tested packages, then a
"packages" distro is probably in order.  If the distro is one
where binary compatibility is guaranteed against 3rd party
apps, then an SLA-focused "packages" distro might be better.

I prefer Gentoo for development workstations where I'm
pulling in a lot of the latest stuff and I don't need a fixed
configuration.  I also prefer Gentoo for servers that are
highly customized and Internet facing.  Of course, I like RHD
for desktop rollouts and RHEL for LAN file/database servers
-- especially when the desktop/server apps are running
certified 3rd party software.

I don't think you can make any recommendation "in general" on
desktops or servers.  That's why I wrote this 7,600 word
ramble:

http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/07/linux-distributions-packages-v-ports.html

Of course, I've already been acused of being anti-Debian,
anti-Fedora, anti-Gentoo and anti-Red Hat (plus anti-Windows)
by different people for writing it.  Sigh.