[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Mon Aug 22 17:53:24 UTC 2005
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Timothy wrote:

> On Monday 22 August 2005 08:42 am, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> > Timothy wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't use the dag repositories via yum anymore.  The 'rf' packages have
> > > too many issues.
> >
> > Issues Like what ?
>
> segfaults mostly.  I used to use his repository almost exclusively.  Maybe
> most of this is fixed now.  I would pull mostly multimedia apps (transcode,
> avifile, ffmpeg, etc) and mozilla-plugins.  Sorry I can't really expand on
> this because it has been a while.  I personally use slackware 10.1 on my i386
> desktops now.

You know, it's funny, because FreshRPMS and RPMforge are actually building
the same packages. So the segfaults most likely happened with FreshRPMS
too (if you actually tried the same version, which you probably didn't
because you were using an old FC1 repository that by mere luck worked
for you).

There have been problems with transcode/dvd:rip that were caused by NPTL
and needed workarounds (environment variables) to make it work. You could
have looked at the freshrpms mailinglist or at least reported the problems
so we could look at it (see if we could reproduce it) or pointed to you at
a solution.

Instead you opted to be pretty useless to the community, even more
ill-advising people. Know that for every working piece of Open Source
software people dedicate time to get things right, that's not only true
for my packages, but for every piece of OSS software. And if you don't
even bother to provide valuable feedback, you don't have any reason to
complain.

If slackware works well for you, than that's despite of your input I bet.

So if you wonder if you pissed me off, yes you did :)

Kind regards,