[CentOS] YUM is seriously fubar

Mon Aug 22 18:31:09 UTC 2005
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 22:25 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > Okay, I have over 9 gigs of spare room on my main hard drive, so I don't
> > think var is filling up. I've set prelinking to be off (I think), and
> > yet still, YUM continues to freeze my computer.
> >
> > If I try to do a search or install, about half the time it will go nuts
> > on the hard drive, I lose control of the mouse, and eventually I have no
> > choice but to hard reset.
> >
> > What's wrong with YUM?
>
> Probably nothing wrong with yum ... instead probably something wrong
> with rpm or maybe just the rpm database.
>
> Since you have installed packages outside the centos repos, it will be
> hard to track.
>
> try doing this:
>
> cd /var/lib/rpm
> rm __db.00*
> rpm --rebuilddb
>
> after that completes, try running yum.

Beware though, removing the __db.* files (a cache) should be sufficient.
You do not have to run rpm --rebuilddb if the cause of the poblem was the
corrupt cache.

Also, do NOT attempt to run rpm --rebuilddb with a corrupt cache in place,
because this may cause your rpmdb to get corrupted. Often people complain
that rpm --rebuilddb did not solve their rpmdb problems, while in fact rpm
--rebuilddb corrupted the rpmdb. And a mere removal of the cache (__db.*)
was sufficient to solve the problem.

You have been warned :)

Kind regards,